Thursday, January 15, 2009

water melon patch...


this is a watermelon patch ..i throw the girls [chooks ] a slice over in the hot weather [ today is another scorcher ] they devour it in seconds..woof and it's gone.. but this year the recycled seeds [get it ?]have germinated and are growing little watermelons all over the place ...i must have a lot of female flowers out there ..fine by me... a friend of mine is not so lucky as all her flowers are all male! my grandaughter [ we shall call her l ] strokes and measures the melons with such care and fondness it takes me all my time to tell her ..they are not ready yet... the largest one and the most coveted is about the size of a large football ...i am still amazed how i can grow these exotic treats here in oz..on a sad note ..one of my girls had to be euthanised at the vets today..the rescued girls have had so many problems with their little egg door ...you still can't get used to the circle of life..r.i.p...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our dog, Harriet, loves watermelon. We had great success last summer growing our own. As you say, it's hard to wait until they are ripe! Hope you have a good day.

loulee said...

Great. Yummy fruits all by accident. My dad used to take the recycling even further, when he cleaned out the hen house he used to put what he cleaned up onto the rhubarb patch. I never saw such huge rhubarb.
I'm sorry you lost one of your girls.

julie said...

sounds delicious, I don't think it would be warm enough here in french, freezing france.

love jules

Julia said...

It's so hot!
I love watermelon too..
Lynnie I have awarded you an award, check out my blog and take part if you wish..
Julia ♥